OUR HISTORY

1906-1922
1906-1922

The Kermott Hospital & City Hospital

The first hospital in Richland Center, the Kermott Hospital, was named after its owner, Dr. Edward P. Kermott. It was operated from 1901 until 1906. In 1906, the Kermott Hospital was sold to Dr. Clement F. Dougherty. The community again operated without a hospital until June, 1912, when Dr. Dougherty opened City Hospital. City Hospital cared for patients until 1922.
1922 to 1936
1922 to 1936

The Beginning of The Richland Hospital, Inc.

Our current Richland Hospital began as a concept in 1919, when the Federation of Women’s Clubs of Richland Center began to raise funds for a new hospital. With $10,000 raised locally, the Women’s Clubs purchased the H.T. Bailey home in 1921 and had it converted into a 14 bed hospital. In November of 1924, The Richland Hospital opened with seven employees. It was managed by the West Wisconsin Conference of the Methodist Church from its opening until April, 1928.

By 1927, a shortage of space was already apparent. An additional project began in August, 1929 and was completed in the following year. An elevator was included in this three-story addition.

The next addition to the hospital was completed in March, 1936. It added an x-ray room, isolation ward, operating room, obstetrical room and more patient rooms.

1986 to 1992
1986 to 1992

The Richland Hospital Expands as an Accredited Member of the American Hospital Association

The fourth addition to the east side of the Hospital occurred in 1939, which included two stories and a basement. A kitchen, dining room, nursery, sunroom and more patient rooms were added during this addition. By 1939, the Hospital had grown from its original 14 beds to a 73-bed facility. During the year of 1939, we became an accredited member of the American Hospital Association.

Plans for the fifth addition of the hospital began in 1946 and the sixth addition was completed in 1953. These additions added the entrance on Park Street and increased the bed capacity to nearly ninety. The Hospital staff increased from its original 7, to 52 employees in 1949. After this, it took nearly ten years before another renovation took place.

1936 to 1953

1962 to 1975

Moderinization

Construction began in 1962 for the seventh addition, which, sadly, included removal of the last portion of the original building. This addition was opened in 1966 and expanded the hospital’s footprint, including many modernizations.

The eighth addition plans to the Hospital opened in 1975. With this renovation project came administrative space, offices, medical records, x-ray, and emergency room and a six-bed intensive care unit. During this time period, changes were also occurring on the Hospital’s grounds. Two houses on Second Street were removed for the creation of a 23-space parking area.

Purchasing Historic Homes for Nearby Use

By 1986, “The Lawrence House,” located on Second Street across from the hospital, was remodeled to be used as a hospital operated Learning/Day Care Center for children of hospital employees.

In 1987, the hospital purchased the house on the southeast corner of the hospital block, owned by Marie Carberry, and converted it into the Fiscal Services Annex.

By 1988, a hospital wide renovation program began that would take a number of years to complete. When finished, it enhanced the aesthetics, as well as the efficiency of the building tremendously.

In 1992, we purchased the house owned by the Ewers family located adjacent to the Fiscal Services Center. The house was slightly remodeled and at the time, was occupied by the Home Health Agency.

By 1927, a shortage of space was already apparent. An additional project began in August, 1929 and was completed in the following year. An elevator was included in this three-story addition.

The next addition to the hospital was completed in March, 1936. It added an x-ray room, isolation ward, operating room, obstetrical room and more patient rooms.

1992 to 1998
1992 to 1998

New Aesthetics

In 1992, the obstetrics unit was remodeled and renamed the Birth Center. By 1993, the second floor (or Medical Surgical patient care area) was renovated. In 1995, we assumed ownership of two primary care clinics located in Muscoda and Spring Green and achieved Medicare program designation to operate these clinics as Provider-Based Rural Health Clinics (RHCs). The RHCs are staffed under contract by Richland Medical Center, LTD, an independent physician group located in Richland Center and provide healthcare services to patients within the Hospital’s primary and secondary service areas.

In 1997, the old high school was purchased from the Richland School District and was demolished. We used this land to construct an employee parking lot on the western part of the two-block lot. The Southeast portion of the lot was sold to a developer for construction of condominiums. In 1997, the Carberry, Ewers, Uzuanis and Rydberg houses were moved off hospital property and the Karlstad and Bailey houses were demolished to make way for the upcoming building project. The finance and home health departments relocated to the Lawrence house and the Children’s Learning Center moved to the renovated Miller house.

In 1998, administration offices were moved to the Schoonover house, following renovation, to allow remodeling. An agreement was reached for the purchase of the Kraska house, next to the administration building, in 1999. The Wisconsin Gas Co. building, on Highway 14 East (where WRCO is currently located), was purchased and renovated for use by the rehab therapies until completion of the hospital and clinic project. This project started in July, 1998.

2000 to 2007
2000 to 2007

Health Care Center Expansion

By 2000, The Richland Hospital, Inc. and Richland Medical Center worked collaboratively to achieve the vision of a single healthcare campus for ambulatory and inpatient care. This project included the creation of a single point of access for patients by adding primary care clinic space at The Richland Hospital, making it possible for the physicians group at Richland Medical Center to move into our building.

Richland Medical Center entered into a long-term lease at the Hospital-owned space. Physician services focus on the total health of the patient covering the entire span of life. Primary care physicians work with a team of specialty care providers to meet the needs of the communities served. During this same capital project, we saw improvements and renovations take place in its physical plant, including laboratory, patient accounting, medical imaging and emergency services. This project created an addition of approximately 104,000 square feet to the facility.

In 2006, thanks to great community support, the Douglas M. Kraemer Community Care Center opened. This care center provides a space designed with the specific needs of patients receiving chemotherapeutic treatments under the care of an oncologist. During this same time period, the hospital added a third Operating Suite.

In June 2007, the Richland Community Free Clinic, Inc. began operating as a unique Wisconsin 501(c)3 corporation in space held under the long-term lease maintained by Richland Medical Center. The Free Clinic is staffed by volunteers, provides access to clinic-based primary care with limited resources targeted to serve those patients without the financial ability to seek healthcare elsewhere. The Richland Community Free Clinic is open one day per week. We, as a health care organization, provide a limited amount of pledged support through access to basic ancillary services like labs and x-ray under the established Community (Charity) Care policy of the Hospital.

In 1997, the old high school was purchased from the Richland School District and was demolished. We used this land to construct an employee parking lot on the western part of the two-block lot. The Southeast portion of the lot was sold to a developer for construction of condominiums. In 1997, the Carberry, Ewers, Uzuanis and Rydberg houses were moved off hospital property and the Karlstad and Bailey houses were demolished to make way for the upcoming building project. The finance and home health departments relocated to the Lawrence house and the Children’s Learning Center moved to the renovated Miller house.

In 1998, administration offices were moved to the Schoonover house, following renovation, to allow remodeling. An agreement was reached for the purchase of the Kraska house, next to the administration building, in 1999. The Wisconsin Gas Co. building, on Highway 14 East (where WRCO is currently located), was purchased and renovated for use by the rehab therapies until completion of the hospital and clinic project. This project started in July, 1998.

2008 to 2011
2008 to 2011

Inpatient Renovation Project

In 2008, we began the planning stages for the Inpatient Renovation Project. The first portion of the project focused on moving the Med/Surg and Special Care Units to the third floor where state of the art patient rooms give patients and staff a great environment to heal and work in. Later, a new C-Section Unit was added to the Birth Center and warm soothing colors were added throughout.

During this Inpatient Renovation Project, we added new access to the helipad via the back elevator. The final phase included the completion of the administrative offices, a sleep study area, respiratory therapy and a new treadmill area for cardiology. The completion of this project brought the Richland Hospital’s total square footage to 164,000 square feet including the portion under long-term lease to Richland Medical Center. LTD. This portion of the project was completed in early 2010.

In the third phase of the project, the hospital administrative offices, respiratory services, and sleep study areas were completed on the hospital’s second floor. Staff moved in the fall of 2010. During this same period, the hospital purchased two houses located on the same block as the current hospital campus. The old apartment building was razed and the white house was renovated for call staff who need to stay overnight.

In 2011, Richland Hospital earned accreditation from World Health Organization as a “Baby Friendly” facility. That same year, the hospital was recognized in the Top 100 Critical Access Hospitals in the Nation.

Richland Medical Center entered into a long-term lease at the Hospital-owned space. Physician services focus on the total health of the patient covering the entire span of life. Primary care physicians work with a team of specialty care providers to meet the needs of the communities served. During this same capital project, we saw improvements and renovations take place in its physical plant, including laboratory, patient accounting, medical imaging and emergency services. This project created an addition of approximately 104,000 square feet to the facility.

In 2006, thanks to great community support, the Douglas M. Kraemer Community Care Center opened. This care center provides a space designed with the specific needs of patients receiving chemotherapeutic treatments under the care of an oncologist. During this same time period, the hospital added a third Operating Suite.

In June 2007, the Richland Community Free Clinic, Inc. began operating as a unique Wisconsin 501(c)3 corporation in space held under the long-term lease maintained by Richland Medical Center. The Free Clinic is staffed by volunteers, provides access to clinic-based primary care with limited resources targeted to serve those patients without the financial ability to seek healthcare elsewhere. The Richland Community Free Clinic is open one day per week. We, as a health care organization, provide a limited amount of pledged support through access to basic ancillary services like labs and x-ray under the established Community (Charity) Care policy of the Hospital.

In 1997, the old high school was purchased from the Richland School District and was demolished. We used this land to construct an employee parking lot on the western part of the two-block lot. The Southeast portion of the lot was sold to a developer for construction of condominiums. In 1997, the Carberry, Ewers, Uzuanis and Rydberg houses were moved off hospital property and the Karlstad and Bailey houses were demolished to make way for the upcoming building project. The finance and home health departments relocated to the Lawrence house and the Children’s Learning Center moved to the renovated Miller house.

In 1998, administration offices were moved to the Schoonover house, following renovation, to allow remodeling. An agreement was reached for the purchase of the Kraska house, next to the administration building, in 1999. The Wisconsin Gas Co. building, on Highway 14 East (where WRCO is currently located), was purchased and renovated for use by the rehab therapies until completion of the hospital and clinic project. This project started in July, 1998.

2011
2011

Muscoda Health Center

In 2011, we made the decision to buy land in Muscoda, WI to build a new rural clinic. The Richland Hospital, Inc. purchased land near the Muscoda Post Office. A ground breaking was held November 2, 2011. Soon after, excavation of the site began with construction beginning that winter and continuing for the better portion of 2011. The new Muscoda Health Center opened its doors on October 1, 2012 and an open house was held on October 18th to celebrate.