For breastfeeding mothers
Breastfeeding care at The Richland Hospital is designed to meet the wants and needs of both mothers and babies. We understand mothers may experience obstacles, concerns, and have questions when breastfeeding.
We provide 24/7 breastfeeding support, personalized care, and prenatal education to support you and your baby.
Certified Lactation Counselors are available on-site 24/7 to offer assistance to breastfeeding moms with the attention they need and deserve.
Health Benefits for Breastfeeding Moms
- Reduced risk of breast and ovarian cancers
- Reduced risk of anemia
- Protection against osteoporosis and hip fracture later in life
- Helps return mothers body to pre-pregnancy state faster
Health Benefits to Breastfed Babies
- Human milk provides babies with the most complete and optimal mix of nutrients & antibodies
- Breast milk has a varying composition which keeps pace with the infant’s growth & changing nutritional needs
- Reduced risk of diabetes
- Protection against ear infections, respiratory illness, & meningitis
- Reduced risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)
- Reduced incidence and severity of allergic diseases
- Breastfeeding plays an important role in the emotional development of babies
- Babies develop higher IQ’s
- Breastfeeding lessens the risk of heart disease later in life
Breastfeeding Support Classes
Our breastfeeding support classes are held at The Richland Hospital.
Topics Covered in Class
- Preparation for breastfeeding
- How to put the baby on breast
- Helpful hints for the first few days
- Nutrition while breastfeeding
- Returning to work.
CERTIFIED LACTATION SPECIALISTS
Experts agree that breastfeeding your baby has increased health benefits for both mother and baby. We support breastfeeding in a variety of ways and our Certified Lactation Counselors are here to help you with personalized care.
Lactation Specialists Help With:
- Breastfeeding/chestfeeding problems
- Latch-on difficulty
- Sore/damaged nipples
- Breast engorgement
- Slow infant weight gain
- No infant weight gain
- Milk supply concerns
- Baby fussiness related to feedings
- Plugged ducts/mastitis
- Milk storage information
- Returning to work while breastfeeding
- Milk expression information
- Weaning advice