Lactation specialists are available 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week to support new moms. Information on positioning, latching on, breast care, mom’s nutritional needs and more is available. In addition, The Richland Hospital, Inc. offers pre-natal breastfeeding classes and monthly breastfeeding support group meetings.
The Richland Hospital, Inc. is 1 of only 10 Wisconsin Hospitals to receive Baby-Friendly (Breastfeeding-Friendly) Certification. Read more about this important certification on our Baby-Friendly Designation page.
Health Benefits for Breastfeeding Moms
- Reduced risk of breast and ovarian cancers
- Reduced risk of anemia
- Protection against osteoporosis and hip fracture later in life
- Helps return mothers body to pre-pregnancy state faster
Health Benefits to Breastfed Babies
- Human milk provides babies with the most complete and optimal mix of nutrients & antibodies
- Breast milk has a varying composition which keeps pace with the infant’s growth & changing nutritional needs
- Reduced risk of diabetes
- Protection against ear infections, respiratory illness, & meningitis
- Reduced risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)
- Reduced incidence and severity of allergic diseases
- Breastfeeding plays an important role in the emotional development of babies
- Babies develop higher IQ’s
- Breastfeeding lessens the risk of heart disease later in life
Breastfeeding Support Classes
2018 Class Schedule
This class will discuss making the decision to breastfeed, preparing for and helfpul tips on the process, nutrition and returning to work. Learn about the research and health benefits of breastfeeding. Have all of your questions answered by lactation specialists.
Every class will occur 3rd and 4th Wednesdays every other month, 6:00-9:00pm. Each class is made up of two sessions. The cost is $10 for both classes.
- January 17 & 24
- March 21 & 28
- May 16 & 23
- July 18 & 25
- September 19 & 26
- November 21 & 28
- The Richland Hospital, Inc.
Topics Covered in Class
- Making the decision to breastfeed
- Preparation for breastfeeding
- How to put the baby on breast
- Helpful hints for the first few days
- Nutrition while breastfeeding
- Returning to work