The purpose of the Community Health Needs Assessment is to identify and prioritize the health and wellness needs of individuals in Richland County and the surrounding areas.
- With the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), IRS Code 501(r)(3) all non-profit hospitals are required to conduct Community Health Needs Assessments.
- Wisconsin State Statutes Chapter 251.05 requires local health departments to conduct community health needs assessments. Additional local public health requirements in community health assessment and planning are found in Administrative Rules Chapter DHS 140.04.
2016 Report Summary
In order to better assess the communities we serve, the following organizations partnered to complete the latest 2016 assessment.
- The Richland Hospital, Inc.
The 2016 Richland County Area Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) has been completed and is available for viewing here.
While working to find the community’s greatest health needs, the Health Assessment and Wellness Commission (HAWC) conducted a community survey. With the survey, individuals identified the community’s greatest health and social strengths.
The five greatest community health strengths
- Ability to get emergency medical care
- Ability to get primary health care
- Opportunities to be active
- Ability to receive dental care
- Community resources and support
Three greatest social strengths
- Public and personal safety
The top health needs to be addressed
The hope is that our community can utilize these strengths and work together to address the three primary health needs identified in Richland Hospital’s Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP). Available for download here.
- Substance abuse prevention & treatment
- Overweight/obesity prevention & treatment
- Mental health care
You can help
The next step in improving the health of our community will be to create a Community Health Improvement Plan. We all need to work together to utilize our strengths and share ideas. The individuals administering the CHIP welcome your ideas. We are stronger together when we understand different views and hear everyone’s thoughts.
Members of HAWC included:
- Chris Drea – Richland Hospital, Director of Marketing
- Marianne Stanek – Richland County Health and Human Services, Public Health and County Health Officer
- Chelsea Wunnicke – UW Extension, Richland County Family Living Agent
- Dr. David May – Richland Hospital, Medical Chief of Staff
- Cindy Chicker – Richland Hospital, Assistant Administrator
- Shawn Tjossem – Richland School District, School Psychologist
- Jarred Burke – Richland School District, District Administrator
Community Health Needs Assessment Reports
Full reports can be viewed by clicking on the document images below (it may take your browser a few moments to open the document).